Easy Seed Starter Pots From TP Rolls
Don’t throw away those used toilet paper rolls! They can be used to create your own disposable pots to start your seeds indoors. Then, when the time is right, transfer your sprouts to your garden.
By using this throwaway item, you can create a more environmentally-friendly way to start your seeds.
This is a wonderful project to do with kids – get them involved!
What You’ll Need
- Cardboard toilet paper, paper towel, or wrapping paper rolls
- Tray, plate, or bowl to put seed pots on
Making the Seed Starter Containers
- Cut the toilet paper rolls in half
- Make 4 cuts of approx. 1″ long around one end of the roll
- Fold all cut sections in toward the center of the roll
- Place the rolls on a tray, plate, or bowl. If they can’t stand up on their own, wrap twine around all of the rolls to hold them together.
Fill each tube with soil, moisten the soil, and plant your seeds.
Keep rolls wet the whole time you are growing. Do not let them sit in water, just keep moist.
Cover the container with clear plastic wrap, or place in plastic bag to create a small greenhouse effect, until the seeds sprout.
Remove plastic wrap once seeds have all sprouted.
Place your seed tray in a south facing window for plenty of sun to start the germination and growing process.
When it’s time to transplant your seeds, you can place the whole seed roll directly in the ground (be sure entire tube is covered), the paper rolls will compost away.
A large assortment of seeds and soil can be found at Viking Village Foods in Reedsburg, WI.